Search this blog

07 April, 2019

How to choose your next job (why I went to Roblox)

This is one of those (rare?) posts that I wasn't sure how to write. I'm not a fan of talking about personal things here, and even more rarely do I write about companies.

But I too often see people, especially juniors entering the industry, coming with what I think are the wrong ideas of how looking for a job works, even making mistakes sometimes that lead to frustration, an inability to fit into a given environment, and can even make people want to quit an entire industry altogether.

By far, the number one mistake I see, are people who just want to go to work for projects that they are a fan of. In my industry, that means games they like to play. Not realizing that the end product does not really tell any story of how it was done and/or what your job will be like.

I do strongly advocate to try to follow your passions, that makes working so much better. And if you're lucky, your passion will even guide you to products you personally enjoy playing. But, that should not be - I repeat, SHOULD NOT BE - your first concern.


"Airship station"
I've been extremely lucky in my career. I have worked for quite a few companies, on many games. I have almost always landed in places I love. Working on projects I love. But only once I've actually worked for a franchise I play (Call of Duty, but even there, I play the single player only, so perhaps you could say I don't really play most of that either).

So, I'll do what most coaches do and elevate my small sample set, based on my personal experience, in a set of rules you might or might now want to follow. And at the end, also tell a bit about why I'm now working at Roblox. Deal? Good, let's go.

- Know thyself.

The first thing is to know yourself. Hopefully, if you paid attention and are honest, over the years you form an idea of who you are and what you like to do, what motivates you.
It's actually not easy, and many people struggle with it, but that might not be the end of the world either. If you don't know, then you at least know you don't and can reflect that in your education and career choices.

In my case, I think I could describe myself as follows:
  • I'm driven by curiosity. I love knowledge, learning, thinking. This is nothing particularly peculiar, if you look at theories of human desire and curiosity, gaining knowledge is one of the main universal motivators.
  • My own intellectual strength lies mostly in logical thinking. I have always been drawn to math, formal systems. This is not to say I'm an extraordinary mathematician, but I do find it easier to work when I can have a certain degree of control and understanding.
  • I love creativity, creative expression, and art, particularly visual arts. 
  • I'm a very social and open introvert. What this means is that I like people, but I've also always been primarily focused inwards, thinking, day-dreaming. Especially as a kid, I could get completely lost in my own thoughts. Nowadays, I try to be a more balanced person, but it's a conscious effort.
Ok, so what does all this mean? How does it relate to finding a job? Well, to me, since a very young age, it meant I knew I would either be an artist or a computer scientist. And that either way it would probably involve computers.
That's why I was involved as a kid in the demo scene. After high school, I decided I wasn't talented enough to make a living as an artist, and I chose computer science. In retrospect, I had a great intuition, 
as even today I struggle in my own art to go out of certain mental models and constraints. I might have been a good technical artist, who knows, but I think I made the right call. Good job, nerdy teenage me!

- Know thy enemy.

What you like to do, what you can offer. This second "step" matures as you gain more work experience, again, if you pay some attention. If you don't know yet, it's not a problem - it means you can know your objectives are probably more exploratory than mine. Your understanding is something that is ever-evolving.

What does all that psychological stuff above mean when it comes to a job? Well, for me it means:
  • I'm not a ninja, a cowboy, or a rockstar. I'm pretty decent with hacking code I hope, as you would expect from anyone with some seniority, but I'm not the guy that will cruise through foreign source, write some mysterious lines, and make things work. I need to understand what I'm doing to be the most effective, and I have to consciously balance my pragmatism with my curiosity.
  • On the other hand, I'm at my best when I'm early in a project. I gravitate towards R&D, solving problems that have unknowns. Assessing risks, doing prototypes, organizing work. Mentoring other people.
  • I don't care about technology or code per se. All are tools for a means to an end. I care about computer graphics, and that's what I know most about, but I am curious about anything. Even outside computer science. So, even in R&D, I would not work in the abstract, in the five-years out horizon, or on entirely theoretical matters. I rather prefer to be close to the product and people.
I'm a rendering engineer. At least that's what I've been doing for the past decade or so. But that's not enough. There are a million ways to be a rendering engineer. I think I'm best at working on novel problems, doing applied R&D, and doing so by caring about the entire pipeline, not only code.

There are another million ways to do this job and are all useful in a company. There's no better or worse. If you know what you can offer and like, you will be able to communicate it more clearly and find better matches. We are all interested in that, in finding the perfect fit. One engineer can do terribly at one company, and thrive in another. It's a very complex handshake, but it all begins in understanding what you need.

- Profit?

Note: I don't mean that everything I wrote above is something you have to think about any time you send a resume. First of all, you should probably always talk to people, and never limit yourself. Yes, really. Send that CV. No, I don't care what you're doing, the timing, the company, just send that CV and have a talk. You never know what you might learn, don't make assumptions.

Second, it's silly to go through all this explicitly, every time you think of a job. But. If you know all this, if along the way you took some effort to be a bit aware of things, you will naturally be more clear in your interactions and probably end up finding opportunities that fit you.

"Rip ur toaster"
Ok, let's now address the last point. Why Roblox? I have to be honest. I would not have written all this if a few people didn't ask me that question. Not many, most of my friends in the industry actually were very positive, heard good things, and actually made me more confident in the choice.
But in some cases, people didn't see immediately the connection between someone who has so far been doing only AAA games and almost only for consoles, and a company that makes a platform for games mostly aimed at kids, mostly on PC and mobile, and with graphics mostly made out of flat shaded blocks. So I thought that going through my point of view could be something interesting to write about.

Why Roblox and not, say Naughty Dog or Rockstar, Unity or Unreal? Assuming that I had a choice of course, in a dream world where I can pick...

Because I'm fascinated by the problem set.

Now, let's be clear. I'm writing this blind, I actually intended to write it before my first day, to be entirely blind. My goal is not to talk about the job or the company. Also, I don't want to make comparisons. I am actually a stern proponent of the fact that computer graphics are far from being solved, both in terms of shiny pixels and associated research and even more so in terms of the production pipelines at large.
Instead, I simply want to explain why I ended up thinking that flat shading might be very interesting. 

"Stratosphere Settlement"
The way I see it, Roblox is trying to do two very hard things at once. First, it wants to be everywhere, from low-powered mobile devices to PCs to consoles, scaling the games automatically and appropriately. Second, these games are typically made by creatives that do not have necessarily the same technical knowledge as conventional game studios. In fact, the Roblox platform is used even as a teaching tool for kids, and many creators start on the platform as kids.

This is a fascinating and scary idea. How to do graphics with primitives that are simpler than traditional DCC tools, but at the same time that render efficiently across so many runtimes? In Roblox, everything is dynamic. Everything streams, and start-up times are very important (a common thing with mobile gaming in general). There is no baking, the mantra for all rendering is that it has to be incremental, cached, and with graceful degradation.

And now, in this platform with these constraints, think of what you might want to do if you wanted to start moving more towards a conventional real-time rendering engine. What could you do to be closer to say, Unity, but retaining enough control to still be able to scale? I think one key idea is to constrain authoring in ways that allow attaching semantics to the assets. In other words, not having creators fully specify them to the same level as a conventional engine does, but leveraging that to "reinterpret" them a bit to perform well across the different devices.

I don't know, I'm not sure. But it got me thinking. And that was a good sign. Was it the right choice? Ask me in a year or so...

4 comments:

Max Burke said...

> Because I'm fascinated by the problem set.

That should be the only thing that matters!

There are so many fascinating problems to be solved out in the world, some may seem like a step sideways (or down) on the surface but digging deeper into them reveals amazing intricacies or incredible payoffs.

Good luck on the move, Angelo!

Justin Jensen said...

Dude. Reading your section on how you describe yourself in the Know Thyself section was like looking into a mirror. Almost had to double check to make sure this wasn't a blog post I had written.

It sounds like you've been in the game industry for a while. Have you ever worked in other industries? In college I discovered that I really liked offline rendering and wanted to work on Arnold or Renderman or something. That hasn't quite panned out, but I'm finding a cozy little spot at ANSYS solving computational geometry problems related to engineering simulation. But I want to keep future doors open.
What do you think about switching between industries? Is it possible? Is it hard to convince a potential employer that your skills from one industry can apply to theirs?

Unknown said...

Max - Thanks

Justin - I have never really worked for other industries, but changing industry is definitely possible. The main issue is not convincing your next employer that you can be a good candidate, that can be achieved by showing that you are interested in a given field, usual stuff.

The main barrier is that after a while one becomes quite senior in a given industry, and it becomes hard to move if a lot of the experience doesn't carry over, because from an employer perspective it's hard to fill a senior position with someone who is not going to be as productive in the first years, and from an employee perspective it's hard to accept a possible step down to the level where the fit might be more appropriate.

That said there are industries that are quite similar enough, for example videogame rendering and offline are more and more connected today, even the same as many game engines are used for offline pre-visualization and things of that sort... Computational geometry is a bit more out there, but then again, there are industries that need that talent outside simulation, e.g. content authoring (think Autodesk etc), and in some regard movies etc.

Another "way" across industries is the opposite end. If one is senior enough to go into management, then moves can be easier because people are people, the technical details matter less.

Also, the key rule is again, never limit yourself. If you want to try a move, try, apply to many positions and see.

Joe said...

Hey! Long time lurker on your blog. I worked at Roblox for ~3 months as an intern. Great company & people. Hope you like it!